What is blood pressure?
- Systolic is measured when the heartbeats when blood pressure is at its highest
- Diastolic is measured between heartbeats, when blood pressure is at its lowest
So why is measuring your blood pressure so important?
Knowing your blood pressure is very important because if your blood pressure stays high over time, it can cause the heart to pump harder. Overworking the heart overtime can lead to serious chronic diseases such as:
- Heart attack
- Heart failure
- Kidney failure
- Your blood pressure changes over time so it is important to get checked regularly.
- Talk with your health care team about regularly measuring your blood pressure at home.
- Self-measured blood pressure (SMBP) monitoring is easy and safe to use! By monitoring your blood pressure at home, you can:
- Help with early diagnosis
- Help track your treatment
- Encourage better control
- Cut your health care costs
- High blood pressure readings are also labeled by categories, ranging from normal to crisis. You can visit the American Heart Association webpage for more information!
Home monitoring is not a replacement for regular visits to your provider. But it can provide important information!
Some symptoms of high blood pressure include:
- Severe headaches
- Disturbed vision
- Chest pain
- Fatigue and confusion
- If you have any of these symptoms, it is best to get a blood pressure screen and talk to your doctor about treating high blood pressure.
Living It Up Anywhere
The idea of living your best life can be done anywhere, at any time, and all it really takes is a mindset shift. Take it one core lifestyle habit at a time, whether that is eating healthy and less, daily exercise, quitting bad habits, getting a routine checkup, or being positive. Take a chance today to Live It Up!